Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Silc client won~t accept the / (backslash) key

I use silc as a replacement for things like irc. Most of the time I think its great. It provides secure and simple encryption and allows me to waste time instead of actually working. Well that last bit is a tad unfair as I learn a lot of things on there.

Anyways, for the last while, it has been impossible for me to enter the backslash character in a session. This is regardless of the keyboard layout on the client computer, the OS and was a seemingly random error. Today I erased the .silc/silc.conf file and restarted the silc client. Success - I am now able to connect to the server once again. The most infuriating aspect of this is that the error occured during a running session. When I copied urls into that session none of the slash characters would be displayed on the screen. Which was funny at first but very annoying once I restarted silc only to discover that I couldn't now type /connect. Which was funny for about 30 seconds. So there you go. If you are ever in the situation where you can't enter the slash key in a silc client just remove the configuration file.

No comments: